- This event has passed.
Oral Surgery Topics for the General Practitioner: Medical Emergencies, Complications – The University of Florida
November 18, 2016 @ 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM$245
As time goes on, it seems that dental patients are presenting with increasingly complex medical histories. Patients with serious medical problems are now able to live longer, with a higher quality of life than in the past. The medical management strategies to maintain these patients in a state of health are increasingly complex as well, with many of our dental patients taking multiple medications to manage multiple organ systemic disease, and many are engaged in complicated treatment for diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and respiratory disease. How can the general dentist process the information in a complex medical history efficiently and most importantly with meaning and significance to the dental practitioner?
In this course we will review the medical history for the dental patient and discuss its relevance to the dental decision making. We will discuss aspects of medical risk assessment and how to predict medical emergencies in the dental patient. We will also discuss treatment of surgical complications from routine surgery performed by the GP, as well as post operative patient management including pain management.
After attending this program the attendee should be able to:
- Understand the importance of a thorough medical evaluation and the management of those patients with the most common medical problems.
- Review medical history taking, with emphasis on identifying medically fragile patients and modifications of dental treatment necessitated by the patient’s medical condition
- Understand the growing national movement towards patient safety and the effect this will have on dental practices.
- Discuss indications and contraindications for surgery with emphasis on judging difficulty and when to refer.
- Learn postoperative patient care, pain control and management of complications, with emphasis on prevention.
- Discuss common medical emergencies in the dental office and learn how to create your own emergency protocols for managing medical emergencies
- Review the drugs and equipment you should have in the dental office.
- Understand the stress reaction and how it affects dental patients.