- This event has passed.
Optimizing ED Operations and Patient Care through Multidisciplinary Teamwork at the Leadership Level – Harvard Medical School
May 26, 2016 @ 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM$450
This course is designed to provide current or aspiring emergency department (ED) leaders with the skills they need to run successful departments. The course will highlight the advantages of having mirrored and collaborating physician and nurse leadership teams within the ED management structure. During the course, participants will be taught how to optimize ED operations and improve patient care through effectively-run, multidisciplinary leadership teams. The course addresses specific operational/ management issues where nurse-physician collaboration is essential to success, such as streamlining patient care through clinical pathways, managing adverse events, quality assurance / improvement, root cause analysis, disaster management, handling complaints, and working with hospital administration.
The goal is to improve the knowledge of ED leaders so that they can successfully organize their leadership teams for success and subsequently optimize operations in their EDs. The course has designated significant time for Q&A, in order to provide ample opportunity for participants to get feedback on specific challenges their team or leadership structure may face. While there are other courses that address ED leadership skills, this course is unique in that it provides participants with case studies and examples of the BIDMC ED management structure, unique in its mirrored physician-nurse collaborative leadership style, and a success story in multidisciplinary leadership. Each lecture will be taught by a physician-nurse team, thereby providing participants with important, varied points of view. Q&A will be built into the day’s schedule to allow learners to query presenters, leading to better understanding and improved competence.
Upon completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Evaluate techniques for organizing/structuring successful ED leadership teams
- Determine how physicians and nurses leaders can work together to streamline patient care through clinical pathways
- Analyze best practices for managing adverse events, prepare emergency teams for disaster management, develop and implement a QA process, handle ED patient complaints, and communicate with hospital administration
- Develop strategies to do a root cause analysis
- Summarize basic concepts about how IT can be leveraged for improving leadership team/staff communication
- Specialty Physicians
- Nurse Practitioners
- ED Administrators