- This event has passed.
MR US Fusion-Guided Prostate Biopsy: Beginner and Advanced Techniques – American Urological Association
October 15, 2016 - October 16, 2016$1,760
In recent years, the technique of multiparametric MR imaging (mpMRI) of the prostate has offered the potential to alter the current paradigms for prostate cancer diagnosis, staging, and therapy. Though initially met with skepticism, mpMRI of the prostate is being rapidly adopted as a diagnostic technique in both the academic and community setting throughout the United States. At present, the rationale for the use of mpMRI in prostate cancer validation is well recognized, but many concepts await validation, both through further trials and clinical experience within the urologic community. Given the rapid adoption of prostate MRI in clinical practice, it is imperative for contemporary urologists to have a basic understanding of prostate MRI, the rationale and clinical indication for MRI-targeted biopsy, and techniques for performing the MRI-targeted biopsy in clinical practice.
After attending this course, participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate the basic principles of multiparametric MR imaging of the prostate.
- Define the conceptual basis and methods for MRI to ultrasound computerized co-registration.
- Establish a practice-specific strategy for clinical implementation of MRI-targeted biopsy in patient management.
- Apply the options for performance of MRI-targeted biopsy and their limitations.
- Develop the basic skills necessary to successfully perform MRI-fusion guided prostate biopsy using the commonly available commercial platforms.
- Consider metrics for quality assurance in the conduct of the MRI-fusion guided prostate biopsy.
This course is specifically designed for practicing urologists and urology residents in training.