- This event has passed.
Improving Inter-Professional Communication – Center for Personalized Education for Physicians (CPEP)
November 10, 2016 - November 12, 2016$1,995
When communication problems strain colleague or staff functions, they can have a significant impact on patient care and on team effectiveness. Healthcare professionals often do not realize how their communication may compromise patient care and impact their work satisfaction. The Improving Inter-Professional Communication: Working Effectively in Medical Teams course is designed to give healthcare professionals the skills they need to employ professional and effective communication in the workplace. Participants will gain insight and develop strategies and skills to:
- Recognize individual behavior/communication styles and how those styles impact work teams
- Improve medical team member dynamics and patient care outcomes
- Support and maintain behavior change which positively impacts team member dynamics over time
The course includes a behavior style profile, interactive discussions, simulated work encounters, and development of a personal Plan of Action identifying steps each participant can take to improve their team communication. At the conclusion of the course, the participant and his or her practice site or referring organization (with the participant’s consent) receive a summary report from the course faculty and a copy of the participant’s Plan of Action.
Professionals may enroll voluntarily or at the referral of their organization. The course will be limited to 12 participants. The course will include 14 hours of onsite classroom time, 2-4 hours of pre-attendance work, and optional professional coaching follow-up and support for up to three months upon completion of the seminar.
After participating in this CME activity, participants should be able to:
- Increase personal awareness and empathetic understanding related to communication/work styles and the impact they have on team morale and the culture of safety within medical teams
- Identify and diminish internal barriers to behavior change and effective communication
- Explore current professional relationship challenges and provide strategies for improving interpersonal and inter-professional competencies
- Develop strategies for increasing resiliency, managing stress and improving frustration tolerance