- This event has passed.
Dietary Strategies for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction – NYU Langone Medical Center
May 19, 2016 @ 12:30 PM - 5:30 PM$125
Diet is a crucial component in the development and progression of cardiovascular disease but is underemphasized in the educational training of most health care providers. Educating patients about this important aspect of cardiovascular disease prevention requires that health care providers have background knowledge about the evidence for diet in cardiovascular and basic skills on how to educate their patients on practical dietary changes. The objective of this course is to review the evidence for diet and cardiovascular disease including recent analyses and controversies while providing practical counseling advice for assessing and implementing change to patients’ diets.
The goal is for attendees to have a better understanding of the evidence for Mediterranean diet and vegan diet (whole food/plant-based) for the prevention of cardiovascular disease and the data for and against saturated fat, sugar, and cholesterol in the development of cardiovascular disease. Attendees will also be instructed in dietary assessment and dietary counseling with the latest innovations in counseling-motivation/technology. The course will also offer a unique lecture on the link between the human microbiome and cardiovascular disease. There will be open forums for discussion and an opportunity for attendees to ask questions about areas of uncertainty. The target audience includes physicians, trainees, nurses, dieticians and allied health professionals.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe how the Mediterranean and vegan diets can be used in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease
- Describe the recommended daily sugar intake and the negative health impacts of exceeding those limits
- Describe the importance of motivating their patients to achieve positive clinical outcomes
- Describe how the microbiome has recently emerged as an important factor in human physiology and disease
- Describe the role of saturated fat and describe its impact on cardiovascular disease
- Discuss the controversy surrounding dietary cholesterol and its role in cardiovascular disease
Physicians, trainees, nurses, dieticians and allied health professionals.