- This event has passed.
Cone Beam Computed Tomography: Interpretation Clerkship – The University of Florida
October 6, 2016 - October 7, 2016$2,500
This course offers a 2.25 day clerkship opportunity to observe and learn the basic principles of CBCT imaging in dentistry and interpretation. The experience includes 8 hours of recorded video, approx. 6 of which will be viewed on-site, with attending radiologists providing input in case of questions or other clarifications needed. The clerkship will provide a general overview of the interpretation process through hands-on experience with several maxillofacial CBCT cases. Participants will be trained on the use of software and become competent in the reformation of images in multiple planes and cross-correlation of anatomy and variants.
Participants will be trained in interpretation using several cases with a variety of maxillofacial and related pathology, including TMD. Note that this is a radiology interpretation experience. No specific training in implant placement will be provided. The clerkship includes 8 hours of recorded lectures on the physics and biology of radiation, basics of interpretation of maxillofacial pathology, CT anatomy, variants, artifacts, protocols, indications, contraindications, doses, and position papers from different specialty groups. Participants may bring up to 2 anonymized cases each for discussion, following informed consent from the patient. This will be the participants’ responsibility.
Following self-interpretation, over-reads will be done by radiologists as a team-effort.
At conclusion, the attendees will:
- Be familiar with basic radiographic anatomy and anatomic variants
- Understand rationale for using CBCT and specific protocols for specific diagnostic tasks
- Be able to provide basic interpretation of CBCT data
- Be able to use two different types of client viewing CBCT software
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of CBCT
- Understand the capabilities of different imaging units and limitations
- Understand radiation safety as it pertains to the use of CBCT, doses, guidelines for use