- This event has passed.
Carotid Duplex Ultrasound – Advanced Health Education Center (AHEC)
August 8, 2016 - August 9, 2016$1,270
Vascular ultrasound has progressed over the years to become much more than a screening tool. From its early beginnings of grainy black and white two dimensional images, to the addition of Doppler and color flow, it has become the modality of choice for early detection of peripheral arterial, cerebrovascular, and venous disease. For the detection of DVT and venous reflux, duplex testing is now the gold standard other modalities are compared to. Accurate diagnostic testing of the vascular system requires a comprehensive understanding of anatomy and hemodynamics as well as the various pathological conditions that can present. Multiple variables such as cardiac output, dehydration, and infection can all have an impact on the vascular system.
This two-day seminar provides an overview of physics and instrumentation, anatomy and hemodynamics, and diagnostic criteria suitable for anyone from an experienced sonographer to the beginner. For the physician wanting a more thorough understanding of the capabilities and potential of the vascular lab, along with interpretative criteria, our extensive library of case studies will prove invaluable. Our scan lab and state of the art equipment, along with our low student instructor ratios allow you plenty of time to perfect your protocol, and acquire the scanning experience necessary to perform diagnostic vascular exams.
At the completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Correctly identify vessel anatomy and orientation in a vascular ultrasound examination.
- Identify the variations in instrumentation and Doppler principles and the effects in scanning parameters.
- Describe the flow characteristics and the manifestations of disease processes.
- Discuss QA of the procedure and equipment.
- Analyze the results of a vascular exam for pathological conditions and in certain cases, quantify the diseases.
- Identify additional resource information on vascular ultrasound.
- Overview of the physical principles of ultrasound including Doppler and color flow
- Comprehensive review of the ultrasound platform controls enabling you to optimize your system for even the most difficult patient
- Carotid duplex testing including: anatomy, hemodynamics, diagnostic criteria, case studies, pearls and pitfalls, as well as standardized reporting
- Case studies, pearls and pitfalls, and standardized reporting
- Hands-on scan lab
Physicians who desire entry level training with vascular ultrasound, and sonographers or other health care professionals learning vascular ultrasound or cross training.