- This event has passed.
Advances in Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition – Harvard Medical School
May 5, 2016 - May 6, 2016$600
Pediatric Gastroenterology is a broad and dynamic field with a rapidly-growing knowledge base. There are very few post-graduate courses that offer a comprehensive educational program in this specialty.
This 3-day course is designed for practicing physicians, nurse practitioners and fellowship trainees in the fields of pediatric gastroenterology, hepatology, nutrition, and endoscopy who wish to update their medical knowledge, improve their clinical practice, or prepare for new or repeat credentialing. The first two days offer a mixture of a short topic and mini-board review lectures, point-counter-point presentations on controversial issues, and case-based small group discussion sessions for direct interaction between participants and faculty.
Many pediatric practitioners lack sufficient training and clinical volume to improve skills and introduce new technologies in their diagnostic and therapeutic procedural practice. This course fills this educational gap by offering a third-day hands-on procedure workshop that provides high fidelity simulation using state-of-the-art instruments in ex-vivo animal model and instructors who are widely recognized experts in their field.
Upon completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Accurately diagnose and provide appropriate treatment for fatty liver disease, drug-induced liver disease, portal hypertension, and autoimmune hepatitis in children
- Recognize and manage congenital GI tract anomalies
- Manage refractory celiac disease
- Recognize the GI symptoms commonly seen in children with autism
- Apply the best management strategies to recurrent pancreatitis
- Describe the safety and side effects of various IV fats used in parenteral nutrition
- Utilize best practices in IBD, including recognition of early-onset IBD, use appropriate therapeutic targets and antibiotics, as well as develop a strategy for cancer surveillance in children with IBD
This course is targeted to pediatric gastroenterologist practitioners and trainees, pediatricians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nurses, dieticians.