- This event has passed.
Advanced Central Venous Access for Anaesthetists – The Royal College of Anaesthetists (RCoA)
September 12, 2016 @ 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM£240
This day is designed for consultants and senior trainees who have mastered the usual elements of short-term venous access but would like to extend their knowledge and repertoire to other procedures. There will be a discussion of both adult and paediatric practice. The day consists of didactic lectures and smaller group teaching on skills stations. The faculty includes adult and paediatric anaesthetists/intensivists and a vascular radiologist.
Lectures and workshops
- Choice of devices, patient assessment, sedation/LA/GA?
- Insertion of PICCs, Hickmans, Ports
- Introduction, How we do it (three short videos)
- Catheter tip positioning
- Central venous access in the very small child
- Common problems: Blocked catheter management, Fibrin sleeves, mechanical blockage, fibrinolytics
- Ultrasound/x-ray/surgical skills/ radiology/trade stands
- Radiology to the rescue!
- Interactive ‘Ask the expert’ session with worked examples; blocked central veins, great vessel damage, management of thrombosis
Delegate feedback from the previous event:
- “All the faculty clearly were experts in the field which makes for a very useful day”